5 December 2014

Fully Loaded - Ceriatone Yeti

It's been a bit quiet here recently due to work restrictions but I managed to get the board fully populated.

I had to swap some parts of the kit out due to space being a premium on the board but I managed to keep it all clean and tidy.

I decided to stick with the Holy Grail electrolytics and see how they fare over time as they are the only unknown in this situation. If they fail or I feel they could be better which is unlikely judging by the high quality standard set by the rest of the kit they should be nice and easy to replace being on turrets.

Now i'm just waiting on the headshell & chassis to come back to me and of course for Triode to hurry up and ship the transformers.

Watch this space!


25 November 2014

New horizons! First Turret Build. Ceriatone Yeti 50w

Hi to anyone that still reads this. It has been far too long since I updated things but i've had a lot on with buying a house and various other 'life' things getting in the way. Enough waffle though! Onto the main course. I exchanged a few emails with Nik @ Ceriatone and ended up ordering his basic kit for his Yeti model which is a Marshall style amp with the ever popular Jose mod that is currently being rammed down peoples throats by the likes of Friedman etc. This is the first time that I have ever built anything using turrets. I have always liked the idea and the look but just haven't gotten around to it so this may take a little longer than usual as it's a new experience. The kit itself came with a very nice selection of parts that I wouldn't usually go out and choose myself such as carbon comp resistors and some very nice looking Ero MKT1813 caps and some TAD mustard caps that I have heard many good things about. The other parts such as chassis, faceplates, switches and jacks are all very high quality and your usual suspects for jacks being Cliff UK and my usual choice for valve sockets, Belton. I have only just started building this and I haven't had much time on it so far so here are a few pics of the progress so far. I have no idea on the specs on Ceriatones custom 'Holy Grail' electrolytics so that could turn out interesting but time will tell.


28 June 2014

JTM45 & New Things

 So it's been quite a while since my last post. I've been trying to play more and embarked on a few different electronics related projects of my own. One of which has been to set up a little part-time business. Some friends and I share a space near where I live and it seemed like a great opportunity to start something. Everything is a work in progress and it is early days but you can take a look at what has been going on over at www.meresound.com.

One thing that has been on the bench is this old JTM45 circa 1966. The original iron was taken for a better condition amp some years ago. The replacement parts were hit & miss or nonexistent.


Here is a wide shot of the contents. The amp was full of dirt and grease. All of the electrolytic caps had bulges or had failed completely. Some of the carbon comp resistor had broken. There was no lamp. Lots of parts weren't wired in and a filter cap was missing. 


The output transformer that arrived with the amp failed it's visual inspection somewhat! A replacement was sent out by the owner.


The power transformer was from another amplifier and the HT secondary was much too hot. 470-0-470. After weighing up potential solutions the PT was sent to Transformer Equipment for a core rewind. They kindly sent back the original core and the carried out the work very quickly. This company was responsible for making the iron that went into the hand-wired Cornford amplifiers. After getting everything wired in and running and checking for leaky capacitors and so on, some more tweaking was required to get this amp running it's EL34's up to 40watts. I believe this amp originally ran KT66's. 


The original front panel had a chunk missing. A replacement was made using the original as a template. The reverse engraved and back filled panel was made by JPF Amplification in Central London. So here is what we have left on the outside and the inside... (some cosmetics to be sorted by the owner)



29 March 2014

MkIIC+ wrapping things up.

I have very little time nowadays so this post is going to be more a collection of pictures and a couple of audio clips. I will revisit this in a few months in more depth.